Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sandra's Walk to Washington - An Epic Journey in the Making

"One person can make a difference - every person should try!" These are the words John F. Kennedy. A lady named Sandra is putting the spirit of this message into action. I think the best way to report on how Sandra is working to make a difference is to reprint her own words in this blog and send you to her website. Here is Sandra's story:

Gorski Books: www.relapse.org
Gorski Training: www.cenaps.com

http://sandraswalk.org/

Well we are up and running!! YES !!! So here it is our ” Walk to Washington” Page and I hope it gains as much support as our FaceBook page has…This site so it is very much a work in progress. Please come back and see what is new weekly !

Our message is of Faith & Hope & Healing. I was given a “Mustard Seed” now I several…I choose to share those seeds with my Brothers and Sisters..

I have changed the names of people in my story as to protect their anonymity, I will not use the names or pics of anyone without their expressed permission. I also beg of you not to contact any person other than myself without permission.

No traditions are broken by this site. Please refrain from using the actual name of any one of our Fellowships in your comments. I respect all traditions and will uphold them to the utmost. Please read “Advocacy with Anonymity” The guidelines used are the ones I follow…Thank You…

Let me tell you a bit about what we are doing and then you can explore the site at your leisure….

My name is Sandra Huffman, I am an Adoptee a Mother a Birth Mother a Daughter and a Sister a Friend and yes a Recovering Addict. I have spent the last 4 1/2 yrs putting all the bits and pieces of my life and the lives that I damaged by getting my kids, my birth daughter and my own birth family back into my life and committing myself to the issues of recovery in my own community all while following a thorough 12 step program..Whew ! I was on a mission!!! LOL!!!

My 16 yr old daughter Savana and I will be leaving Fort Lauderdale Florida in June 2011 to walk approx 1300 miles to Washington DC…Yes, you read right, we are WALKING to DC ! We will be walking approx 15 miles per day for 90 days to arrive in DC by Sept for National Recovery Month…

“Why” you are asking yourself right now.. Well the primary reason is to raise awareness surrounding Recovery issues pertaining to the World of Addiction. We will be walking and talking recovery the entire way at woman’s shelters, homeless shelters, youth centers, jails & institutions and yes I am going into the streets and back under bridges to bring some seeds of hope to those still out there sick and suffering and also to those that do not believe we can and do recover !

I myself, Lord willing and with much hard work will be celebrating 5 yrs in recovery when we leave in June. I was an Addict for over 28 yrs, spent most of my life in abusive and neglectful relationships, hurt many people and used and abused many different agencies that only wanted to help me…sad..

Well, now it’s time to “Pay it Forward” I had heard many people use this term and even saw a movie based on the concept but never thought that doing something like that in my own life could be so healing as the work I have been doing in my own community here in Broward County since my 7th and final release from jail in 2006.

Please take the time to read the blogs and view our photos and watch the videos and you will see and understand so much better then I can sit here and try to write all at once, there is just too much.

What we hope to accomplish is raising, oh let’s say we start at a Million Dollars,(who knows we just might) to give back to approx 20 different agencies that have been helping me since I was a 13 yr old runaway living on the streets outside Philadelphia, PA in the early 1980′s and on to the beaches and under bridges of sunny South Fla soon after that and then after 25 yrs leaving my kids, my family & friends and ending back on the streets as a full blown addict for almost 4 more years..

We are also 1/2 way through the process of starting a 501(c)(3) Not for Profit 3/4 way sober living home for single parents where they can live for up to one year with their children while attending school to gain an education that will lead them to economic independence and out of the public welfare system… This will be called FENWICK GUEST HOUSE .

What is kinda cool and sad at the same time is that I still know and have contact with each caseworker or agency I have known since I was a kid.. What is even better is that they are ALL 100% behind what I am doing now and I am overwhelmed at the Love they still have in their hearts so “Time To Pay It Forward”

So much more to come and so much to write I will leave you with our “Battle Cry”……

“ADDICTION IS THE ONLY WAR YOU MUST SURRENDER TO WIN”

With Love in my Heart…

Simply Sandra

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Terry with folks like you that are "For us" how can we fail in our common goals?? I just pray that our messages of hope&Healing reach the hearts of those still sick & suffering...They are our real target audience..

    ReplyDelete